Monday 26 May 2014

“You’re most beautiful when you’re happy!”  - Thank you Anjoli :) You're absolutely RIGHT!
Dear Families,
I hope you enjoyed a bright, sunny weekend with your child – it was absolutely beautiful out, wasn’t it?  Unfortunately, I had a sore throat so I spent most of my time inside resting, but I did manage to get outside yesterday (Sunday) and got some much needed Vitamin D J  Today when I arrived to school, I noticed some students were quite rosy and got a lot of sun, your child is encouraged to wear a hat and apply sunscreen as he/she is outside for two 25 minute fitness breaks.  Thank you for your support in this matter.  I also wanted to say a thank you to the parents who regularly check and sign their child's agenda, it is an excellent communication tool between parent, child, and teacher.  I have been enjoying your notes! 
Spirit Assembly:
On Friday our school had our second last Spirit Assembly for the school year.  Students and staff are really getting into the SPIRIT and participating with such enthusiasm and pride!  Everyone really enjoys the “House Challenges,” this time it consisted of musical chairs and pass the hula-hoop.  I was very pleased to see every “House” (which has approximately 60 members in it – wow!) work together cooperatively to successfully complete each challenge - amazing!  We always end our assembly with a dance and this time it was the ever popular “Chicken Dance” which my students have experience with from our in-class Brain Breaks.  Our next Spirit assembly will take place mid-June - stay tuned! 
Track & Field:
Last week all students in Gr. 4-8 participated in various Track events.  Everyone received a purple ribbon at the very beginning which represented active participation.  I was happy to see that my students wore this ribbon with such pride!  Many students stepped outside their comfort zone to participate for the very first time, some of my students even received 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place ribbons throughout the day – way to go!  We talked about this achievement and in the end we all agreed that the most important ribbon was the purple one as it represents courage and the willingness to participate with a smile!!!  I know my students will take this experience with them and carry their new learnings into Gr. 5 at next year’s Track & Field meet!
Science Experiment:
Today during Science, we did an experiment for How Light Travels.  Please ask your child about this procedure, the materials used and what their findings were.  Here are some examples of questions to ask:
How must the cards be placed so that the light shines through the holes? (HINT: all cards had to be placed such that the holes were in a straight line).
What property of light does this demonstrate?  (HINT:  this demonstrates that light travels in a straight line).
How is a shadow formed?  (HINT:  a shadow is a result of light being blocked). 
What do the following terms mean – transparent, transluscent, and opaque?
Thank you for taking the time to sit with your child to reinforce these learned concepts at home.
Reminder:
Just a friendly reminder that Narratives are due this Friday!  Students continue to work hard during our in-class writing time which has been beneficial.  Thank you to all the families who are supporting their child in this writing task at home, I really appreciate all your time and efforts, it is making a difference and I look forward to their end result!          
“Your best is good enough.”  --German Proverb (Thanks Josie for sharing this with me at the end of our school day).
Namaste,
Miss Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment